Personal injury accidents are among the leading causes of death and disability in Illinois and across the U.S., but you might not appreciate the extent of the problem until you review the data. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), almost 25 million people visit their physician and another 98 million individuals head to the ER every year for treatment of unintentional injuries. Accidents are also the fourth leading cause of death in America, causing around 201,000 fatalities annually.
If you were hurt or lost a loved one in an accident, you may qualify to recover compensation under Illinois law. Because the legal process can be complicated, it is wise to retain skilled representation for assistance. Our team at the Law Offices of David H. Brinton, LLC is ready to support your needs at this difficult time, so please contact our firm to set up a free consultation. A Chicago personal injury attorney can explain your rights and remedies, and an overview of our legal services is helpful.
Solid Representation in All Types of Personal Injury Cases
There are an infinite number of reasons that accidents happen, but there is one underlying theme they share: These incidents are the result of negligence, which means more than mere carelessness in legal terms. Negligence is a theory of liability, which requires you to prove that the accident occurred because another party failed to exercise reasonable care. Negligence is often behind:
- Motor vehicle collisions;
- Crashes involving semis, 18-wheelers, tractor-trailers, and other large commercial trucks;
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents; and
- Slip and falls and other incidents linked to dangerous conditions on property.
Our firm is ready to advocate on your behalf with these types of accidents, but we also handle personal injury cases in the context of nursing homes and health care. Nursing home neglect and abuse is intolerable, so we assist families in seeking justice for residents. Our team has extensive experience representing patients in connection with medical malpractice and negligence claims against physicians, hospitals, nurses, clinics, and other health care providers.
Compensation for Accident Victims
Regardless of the underlying reasons behind the accident, monetary damages in an Illinois personal injury claim are intended to reimburse victims for their losses. The point is to put the victim in the same position he or she would be in had the accident not occurred, at least as much as practicable. There are two types of compensation available in most cases:
- Economic Damages: This category includes the tangible, concrete losses you sustain, which usually are quantifiable in dollar value. They include medical costs, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenses you incur as part of your treatment.
- Noneconomic Damages: Some losses are not easily measured in terms of dollar value, but you most certainly endure hardship. Noneconomic damages are the personal, subjective losses that impact your quality of life. Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and scarring and disfigurement are examples.
Compensation is also available for surviving family members when a victim dies in an accident. You may be eligible for damages related to loss of consortium, education, love, guidance, and financial contributions that the decedent would have provided.
Legal Process in Accident Cases
Motorists, businesses, property owners, and health care providers carry liability insurance to protect their interests, so the first step after an accident is filing a claim with the insurer. It is often possible to settle your claim, but you will need to sue in court if the company refuses to pay a fair amount. The Chicago personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of David H. Brinton, LLC will be at your side throughout the legal process. We will handle such tasks as:
- Gathering evidence to establish fault;
- Reviewing your medical records and other proof of losses;
- Completing all insurance claims forms and submitting them with supporting documentation;
- Negotiating with the insurer in an attempt to settle your claim; and
- Filing a lawsuit in court and taking your case to trial to ensure you receive sufficient compensation.
Set Up a Free Consultation with a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
The process for recovering compensation after an accident can be challenging. Instead of putting your rights at risk, trust the Law Offices of David H. Brinton, LLC to pursue those responsible for causing your injuries and losses. For more information, please contact our firm at 312.445.4908 or contact us to schedule a no-cost case review. We can advise you on next steps after reviewing your circumstances.